Pedro Arantesrose

Flow State (Psychology)

It's the most efficient state when doing a task.
Zettelkasten, January 28, 2021 (changes)


  • Is a mental state in which a person is performing an activity:
    • fully immersed;
    • high focus;
    • full involvement and enjoyment.
  • It's the most efficient state when doing a task.
  • Lose awareness of all other things.
  • The person may lose the sense of time.
  • Named by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi in 1975.
  • Three conditions have to be met to achieve a flow state:
    1. Clear goals and progress.
    2. Clear and immediate feedback.
    3. The task difficult must match the person's skill level.
      • If task difficult < person skill: boredom.
      • If task difficult = person skill: flow.
      • If task difficult > person skill: anxiety.
  • According to Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, we can process about 110 bits of information per second.
    • Person in flow state decided to use all these bits on the task.
    • There is no more attention to be allocated.


RecommendationsDo you want to see all posts instead?
Skydiving Terminal Velocity
When an object is in a skydiving fall, its velocity will be constant after enough time, considering that the drag force is proportional to the square of the speed.
Articles, May 23, 2021
Reading time: 5 minutes
No B.S. Time Management for Entrepreneurs
This book is expressively for entrepreneurs and business owners who wear many hats—those who can't resist piling more responsibility onto his own shoulders, who has more great ideas that time and resources to take advantage of them, who runs (not walks) through each day. Your time is incredibly valuable to you, and you are constantly 'running out of it.'
Books, April 04, 2021
Reading time: 21 minutes
Last Mile in a Software Project
These final adjustments can have fewer tasks compared with the core, but it is the laborious part, then the time to finish it is almost as the core time implementation.
Articles, March 22, 2021
Reading time: 5 minutes
The 90-90 Rule
When you finished 90% of any project, the remaining 10% will take the same amount of time of the fist 90%.
Zettelkasten, February 07, 2021
Mental Models
Mental models are frameworks, worldviews, representations, or explanations of how something works. They're how we understand the world.
Zettelkasten, April 06, 2021
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs
It's a motivational theory in psychology comprising stages of human needs.
Zettelkasten, August 11, 2021
Cognitive Bias
A cognitive bias is a systematic pattern deviation of the norm or rationality in judgment because the individual constructed reality.
Zettelkasten, August 01, 2021


On Tuesday (not weekly), I publish my most recent readings and thoughts. Subscribe to my newsletter if you want to follow topics about #startups, #mental-models, #cryptocurrencies, and more. You can also check my past issues on Revue.

By subscribing, you agree with Revue’s Terms and Privacy Policy