Pedro Arantesrose
ArticlesContactNow

The 90-90 Rule

When you finished 90% of any project, the remaining 10% will take the same amount of time of the fist 90%.
#90-90-rule
Zettelkasten, February 07, 2021 (changes)

Notes

  • "The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time." Tom Cargill, Bell Labs.

  • "Be prepared: When you are 90% done with any large project (a house, a film, an event, an app), the rest of the myriad details will take a second 90% to complete." Kevin Kelly.

  • When you finished 90% of any project, the remaining 10% will take the same amount of time as the first 90%.

  • It always adds more time to any software time estimation.

  • This happens because:

    • We don't account for unexpected events. We may think that the time is linear - the first 90% takes 90% of the time, then the final 10% will take 10% of the time - and because Parkinson's Law, we project the whole time to the expected tasks. This leaves us with a little time to unexpected.

    • The first 90% may be the tasks that activate the flow state and the last 10%, the boring tasks.

Questions

  • What was the last time you saw this rule happening?

  • How many kinds of projects this rule may be applied?

  • Does setting an aggressive deadline minimizes the 90-90 effect? If yes, why?

References

RecommendationsDo you want to see all posts instead?
Flow State (Psychology)
It's the most efficient state when doing a task.
Zettelkasten, January 28, 2021
Parkinson's Law
It stands that "work expands to fill the time available for its completion."
Zettelkasten, January 07, 2021
Last Mile in a Software Project
These final adjustments can have fewer tasks compared with the core, but it is the laborious part, then the time to finish it is almost as the core time implementation.
Articles, March 22, 2021
Reading time: 5 minutes
No B.S. Time Management for Entrepreneurs
This book is expressively for entrepreneurs and business owners who wear many hats—those who can't resist piling more responsibility onto his own shoulders, who has more great ideas that time and resources to take advantage of them, who runs (not walks) through each day. Your time is incredibly valuable to you, and you are constantly 'running out of it.'
Books, April 04, 2021
Reading time: 21 minutes
Ideas in Open Loop
When you decide to do some task, obligation, or plan without executing it, the mind creates an open loop.
Zettelkasten, April 10, 2021
Ownership May Prevent Parkinson's Law
If you have X time to complete some tasks and don't have enough motivation, why should you finish them in less time?
Zettelkasten, May 26, 2021
Context Switching
Each extra task or "context" you switch eats up 20-80% of your overall productivity.
Zettelkasten, June 02, 2021

Newsletter

Every Tuesday, I publish my most recent readings and thoughts. Subscribe to my newsletter if you want to follow topics about #startups, #mental-models, #cryptocurrencies, and more. You can also check my past issues on Revue.

By subscribing, you agree with Revue’s Terms and Privacy Policy