- The circle of competence is a mental model that defines boundaries for what you know and what you don't know. When you're honest about where your knowledge is lacking, you know where you're vulnerable and where you can improve.
- Ego is the enemy of the circle of competence because it makes you believe that you don't have blind spots and know everything about some field.
- If you don't have at least some years of experience and failures in a field, you cannot consider yourself competent in a circle.
- Knowing your circles of competencies allow you to make better decisions and flexibility to respond to new challenges because you'll likely have more than one solution to every problem.
- [Farnan Street. The Greatest Mental Models. Vol. 1](/tgmm1)
- [Operating Outside a Circle of Competence](/zettel/operating-outside-a-circle-of-competence)
- [Building and Maintaining a Circle of Competence](/zettel/building-and-maintaining-a-circle-of-competence)