Knowing queue capacity utilization () allows you to predict the following:
- the percent of the time that the arriving work will find the server busy;
- the average number of items in the queue;
- the average number of items in the system;
- the percent of overall cycle time is queue time;
- the ratio of cycle time to value-added time.
For Queue, you can predict these characteristics:
- Percent Capacity Utilization
- Percent Unblocked Time
- Number of Items in Queue
- Numbers of Items in System
- Percent Queue Time
This property is helpful from a practical perspective, but it's often tough to directly measure capacity utilization in product development processes. Moreover, it's problematic because the ratio of demand and capacity are individually hard to estimate.
- What methods can measure queue capacity utilization in product development processes?