Queue capacity utilization is the amount of time the service process is working (not idle).
Knowing capacity utilization allows you to predict:
- the percent of time arriving work will find the resource busy;
- the average number of items in the queue;
- the average number of items in the system;
- the percent of overall cycle time is queue time;
- the ratio of cycle time to value-added time.
For Queue, you can predict these characteristcs:
- Percent Capacity Utilization
- Percent Unblocked Time
- Number of Items in Queue
- Numbers of Items in System
- Percent Queue Time
Percent capacity utilization and percent queue time are identical for a random queue.
- If you operate an queue at percent utilization, you're choosing to use percent queue time.
Queues grow when you approach 100 percent utilization, they become exponentially large.
It's hard to measure capacity utilization directly.