It's a process of getting things out of your head and into objective, and reviewable format.
It's an extended mind or a second brain.
Few people can hold their focus on a topic for more than a couple of minutes only relying on their minds.
- You need tools and some objective structure to help. For instance, if we have a pen and paper, then we can stay focused for hours.
The mind works this way:
- It will give you some ideas as you feel you can effectively use them.
- If you're not collecting it in a trusted way, it won't give you more.
- If you're recording them, even for later evaluation, it'll give you more ideas.
It helps you organize your thoughts.
- Natural and complex connections may emerge.
Article: An Effortless Way to Improve Your Memory