Some psychological addiction terms:
- FOMO: Fear of Missing Out.
- ATUS: Addiction to Useless Information.
- PROM: Pleasure of Receiving Messages.
The existence of such terms shows that exists a psycho-emotional manipulation engineered into social media.
Social media creates to users a sense of belonging and redefines their way of being.
Anxiety, depression, loneliness, and addiction are problems caused by social media addiction.
It's good for social media companies that the users spend much time as possible on their platforms.
- Most of the money these companies made is directly tied to the time users spend on their platforms.
Swiping right, double-clicking to like a post, receiving likes, and others generate ephemeral dopamine bursts.
- How do you know if you're social media addicted?