The product manager (PM) discovers what customers need, studies the market and tendencies, prioritize what to build next, and rallies the team around a product roadmap.
They are highly strategic and have a grand vision of the product and long-term focus.
It's an abstract role because the product development field is abstract.
The core tasks of a PM are:
- discover the business' core;
- define the personas and their pain and how to solve it;
- prioritize what to build, ideally choosing what generates more value faster with fewer resources;
- keep the team aware of the product status;
- define the right metrics for the product.
PMs have a closer relationship with other departments: engineering, marketing, design, and finances.